We arrived at the Viceroy, easily the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed at, and I sat down as Colin checked us in. As I stood up to be escorted to room, the attendant handed Colin two glasses of the most crisp, delicious-looking champagne I'd ever seen. Colin said "None for her, she's pregnant" and the attendant looked at me with a mixture of "how cute" and "ha ha." Bummer. I also noticed at that moment that I had paint on my tank-top from painting the baby's room. Definitely not SoCal-chic.
This trend continued as we laid out by the pool all day. I watched longingly as my pals and husband ordered drink after drink of the most fantastic-looking tropical frozen concoctions. Not to be completely outdone, I ordered quite a few virgin concoctions for myself thinking this would make me feel better. The three of them got nicely buzzed. I got an extra 8,000 calories.
Moving on from alcohol-related "poor-me's" to food-related "poor-me's." Without exception, every single meal I ate ended with the same result. A large dent across my upper stomach where my maternity jeans were practically cutting off my circulation. I felt more stuffed in Palm Springs than I've ever felt in my life. And then I would be hungry again. In like 30 minutes.
Our first night in town, I was so excited to get back to the hotel after dinner and relax in the awesome hot tub. I quickly checked my "What to Expect" book to make sure that hot-tubbing after the first trimester was safe as long as I didn't overdo it. Was it? No. Of course not. Sitting next to a hot tub and not being able to get in doesn't sound so bad, but it is truly one of the worst forms of torture out there. Try it sometime.
My last and favorite memory happened right after the most relaxing hour ever spent laying on a raft in the pool. That's right. I had to get off of the raft and out of the pool. Man! It was embarrassing. I ever-so-ungracefully anchored my leg on the side of the pool and then completed a full-on whale roll to the safety of our chairs. It was truly so ridiculous that I couldn't do anything but laugh.
Perfect and not-so-perfect, our 'babymoon' was the best vacation I've ever had! I've never laughed harder or felt more relaxed in my life. We had such a good time that we plan to make it a yearly tradition. So look for me at the Viceroy, Palm Springs, in 2010. I'll be the girl who stylishly sips her glass of champagne upon arrival then gracefully exits her pool raft and orders another deliciously alcoholic pina colada. I'll eat a perfectly-proportioned dinner and when I come back to get in the hot tub, you won't catch me with a jean dent across my stomach. Okay, well, that part I can't promise.




Wow - I am so jealous of your babymoon! The vacation I just took can't count as a babymoon because I went with my Ma instead of my husband... plus I wanna go to the SUN! Maybe we'll have to join you next year (I think Gammy & Pappy can handle two babes for a weekend, right? Hey, they asked us to give'm grandkids...)
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had an awesome time - just imagine how ungraceful you would've been if you were allowed a buzz :)
Definitely! The Post-Babymoon, 2010! I'm pretty sure we'll deserve it by then:)
ReplyDeleteHmmm, it better be a very Happy Pappy to take on the equilalent of twins. Of course there is always the chance he will choose to be Nappy Pappy and leave it all to Gammy. Likely he will be Sappy Pappy for a while before he slips into Nappy. And I will insist that at least once he will take diaper detail which will make him Crappy Pappy. That of course will make him Snappy Pappy, but only with Gammy.
ReplyDeleteWhat will really be interesting to see, is if you think we can handle two babes. Until you have them, you don't know how you will feel. That's just a littl Gammy wisdom.
ReplyDeleteI am just cracking up! I especially loved how you got to drink virgin concoctions adding 8,000 calories :)and daddy Colin will not let you have a sip... no fun! keep up the good work mom- you are almost in your third trimester and the downward slide :) except everything is getting a lot more uncomfortable :(
ReplyDeleteHmmm, do you think "equilalent" means "at least equal to"?
ReplyDeleteNo, I think it means "nothing more exciting than"
ReplyDelete;) Ha.
Fun times! Don't worry, I'm sure you looked ridiculously cute more than anything!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you and Hailey will be able to leave your babies. It's a lot harder than it appears, I've learned.
Oh, and Mommy, you cracking me up!
Sarah, you are so right. She looked really cute and no one (even myself) even noticed the topple. In fact, it was far more graceful that the raft hopping that both of the boys did (I was surprised that there was water left in the pool after they jumped on). Right, Missun?
ReplyDeleteBy the way, isn't it time for some new bump pictures? Nyss should be growing and Colin should be shrinking. Unless of course he is still being super supportive. xox
ReplyDeleteNot if colin drank 8,000 calories worth of cocktails too... I see him as the supportive type :)
ReplyDelete