Friday, August 7, 2009

She'll be wearing mascara next time I post

So you'll never guess what happened? In 3 months my daughter went from a tiny little coneheaded infant to a chubby, chatty, hand-sucking, no-hair-having, round-headed baby! I mean, she's an acutal baby now...it's crazy! When people come up to me in the grocery store now, they generally guess that she's a few months old which is such a difference from the old days (2 months ago) when every single person I encountered used the word "tiny" at least twice in each sentence they spoke. Ok, I'm exagerrating, but seriously....I felt like that's all I heard for the first month or so. In the public's defense, she was TINY and not everyone has their baby-age-o-meter as perfectly calibrated as us new parents do.

As a side note about the baby-age-o-meter, we were recently in Atlanta with my family, and my brother (who has an 18-month-old daughter and is a doctor) asked Colin if Mackenzie was crawling yet. Both Colin and I were horrified in typical, protective new-parent style... like "What? She's not even 3-months-old yet? How could you possibly expect her to be crawling?" Turns out that unless you have a child that age, it's really easy to forget what an X-month-old is supposed to look like and/or what milestones she is supposed to be accomplishing. It's even easier to forget these kinds of things after spending the evening drinking Bud Lights at a local Newnan, GA bar and listening the country-music stylings of Tim Duggar, which we did. But that's a completely different post, which might not get posted....ever.

Anyway, the point of this post is just to reflect on how amazing and cool it is to watch your child grow up. And as cliche as it sounds, I am seriously concerned that it's going too fast for my liking. It's not even that I have any desire at all to go back to the days of infanthood. I love that she has just started sleeping through the night. I love that she wakes up chatting loudly every morning. I love that she stares intently at the animals in her crib and on her swing. I love that she has eyelashes now. And most of all, I love her perfectly-round bald head. (It's the one thing that reminds me that she is not ALL Colin.) But a little part of me misses that that tiny, tiny baby who came into the world 3 months ago.

PS - I swear I just heard her say her first word. It was "bike." She's definitely the Pappy's granddaughter.


In the outfit Colin bought her the day we found out she was a she!

Chillin' with friends, Plumpie and Sheep.

15 comments:

  1. What a cute Tonger!

    I do feel the need, however, to point out that it is Dugger... not Duggar, as in the idiots with 18 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no kidding, time flies... r baby is rolling... and my floors are not clean :( I wish our baby was sleeping through the night... but since she is most likely the last I am enjoying this time I don't feel the need to schedule schedule schedule like with luke- just going with the flow :)
    r and her are ready to play... well kinda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa,
    She is so beautiful. I love that we are living parallel lives. I still cannot get over that we birthed an hour apart. It's so cool. I think they must be destined to marry:)
    She is so adorable. I still can't believe they are 3 months old! Man! Every month I look at Tyler and say "he's still alive, we must be doing something right!"
    Congratulations Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not your bro's fault my sweet music rocks! I'm three koozies and one trucker hat lighter since your visit to my show...Gettin There...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the Tim Duggar/Dugger post. (before my little Mac wears mascara)

    Pappy will be pleased, she must have found what he has hidden in the barn...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim, I'm so pleased to see you've found my blog. Can you please tell me why your tour bus has five huge ceiling a/c vents? This has been keeping me up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have five a/c units on my bus for the same reason all my amps go to 11... because Tim Dugger is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who is Tim Dugger? I have to know this since I want you to include the Tim Dugger blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Claudia, Tim Dugger is the musician who was playing at the local bar near my parents house. We left the girls with my parents, and Jake, Mary, Colin and I were treated to his reditions of country songs. He didn't even have any original material. What he did have, though, was a gigantic tour bus and lots of merchandise to sell. Jake and Colin bought some koozies and a hat with his tagline on them, "Tim Dugger...Gettin' There." It was all very weird and the crowd at the bar was interesting, to say the least:) As was our cab driver on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and the Tim Dugger posting on this site is Jake, who has apparently assumed an alias.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As impressive Tim Dugger sounds and as much as he has dominated your comments, I gotta bring it back to that adorable 3 month old and her big beautiful eyes (with long mascara free lashes) and even bigger beautiful bald head :) I can't believe how quickly she's grown! I sure do love my talkative niece!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, it is about little Mac, or now, big Mac.

    I just have to break into song:

    "Little Mackie to the rescue, little Mackie to the rescue, go little Mackie, go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's a little cutie! I can't believe she's three months already. And it's true, you do forget about what babies do at each month. I have to look back at my blog to remember, because I'm a bad mommy and haven't put together a baby book for Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the sweet words, everyone (except Tim Dugger). We think she's pretty great:)

    Jenny...how is Little Ninja? We need a post from you!

    ReplyDelete