Friday, April 24, 2009

Almost time!

Well, it's almost time for the birth of our daughter. I've never been more excited for anything in my life...it's beyond compare. I can't say exactly when I think she's going to arrive, but I know it's not going to be too much longer. The other night I was laying on the couch and something just felt strange...like the baby was lower and I almost felt less pregnant, if that makes sense. (Not that I look any less pregnant, though.) Turns out, I think Mackenzie "dropped" on Wednesday. My 'baby shelf' doesn't seem quite as high up anymore and the pressure on my bladder is even more intense now. Apparently, in first pregnancies, the baby usually drops or lightens anywhere between 2-4 weeks before birth. As her dad says, "She's put in her two-week notice," so we can't say she didn't warn us!


She got low, low, low...(all I can think of is that song now.)

Most of you already know that I'm sort of an orderly person when it comes to keeping our house organized and clean, so I haven't really felt a huge change when it comes to my nesting instincts. In fact, I sort of went the other direction a few weeks ago when I agreed (less than a month before her due date) to replace all our 1980s kitchen appliances. This would cause me to have "project stress" under normal circumstances, much less at almost 9 mos. preggers. That said, I was up for it. Then we decided to rip out our lovely, blonde Pergo kitchen floors while we were at it. I just said "okay...sounds great." I can't figure out why I've been so calm about this when Mackenzie could arrive any day, but I like the change in myself. Colin has been great about reassuring me that it will all be done in time and I guess I just believe him. We've also been lucky that Uncle Mike (I like saying that) has been over to help out too. I'm starting to get really excited about that fact that my daughter will never see the fridge with a duct-taped handle or walk on kitchen floors that truly violate any sense of decor or good taste.


Bye-bye Pergo, hello tile!

My last pre-Mac worry was self-inflicted. I could NOT make a decision on which changing table to get for her nursery. All the other nursery decisions were easy, but not this one. I went back and forth for months on which one I wanted and then decided to think about it later. I finally bit the bullet about two weeks ago and ordered one that I wasn't entirely sure about, but hoped that it would be just the right finishing touch on the nursery. The feeling of joy I had when I got home yesterday and found it put together in her room was equivalent to the joy I used to feel after spending hours at Nordstrom and laying out all my purchases when I got home. It's a new era, I guess.


Better than new clothes!

Anyway, I know that there's still lots of things that can (and probably will) happen before I meet her. Last but not least, that whole labor and delivery thing:) But I am ready! I haven't felt that way until now, but I really am. Bring on our baby!

7 comments:

  1. Wow - it looks like the guys did a great job on the kitchen floor! Can't wait to see it in person. The changing table looks like a perfect match for her room too!

    It's so nice of my niece to give you a little warning that she's on her way soon :) Except... now I'm even more excited and can't stand having to wait any longer!! I think she should on Tuesday - what a great birthday present that would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. could this post be any more adorable? now all i'm going to think of is "low, low, low looooow...

    I'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to meet her! And see your non-pergo floors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... i did guess hailey's birthday as mac's arrival! Wow, i need to see you again before she is here! how's the waddle? ;) enjoy the last moments - as uncomfortable as they may be. also RJD is excited to meet MHC one of her VBF's :) we are looking forward to meeting her also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa, I'm so incredibly excited for you! How amazing that you could actually feel the difference when she dropped. And I really do think that sense of peace may be a big indicator that she could come any day now (although I had a meltdown the day before Bella came!)

    The kitchen floor looks lovely, you look ADORABLE! and I LOVE the changing table. Plus, you hit the nail on the head the way you described your excitement when you saw it. I get way more excited about baby toys, diapers, and cute girly clothes than I do about ANYTHING for myself these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of you outside! You are a beautiful glowing pregnant lady and you are carrying your first baby and my first grandchild. I think maybe it is Colin who is experiencing the nesting instinct with all his home improvements. It does not really matter if things get done in time. All little Mackie needs is your arms. (and mine) xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missun, you look fantastic and so do the tiles! Nice job Babers and Uncle Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the changing table, it has great storage. Did you get your tiles at Lowes? They look just like the tile we put in our laundry room. They have the same slate look to them. You look great Alyssa, can't wait to see your beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete