Sunday, November 15, 2009

Baby Sitter

So once again, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. Things get busy with a 6-month-old who can't decide if she's teething, tired, or just plain crabby. Now that the smiling/giggling milestones have happened, I feel like we've moved on to some not-so-adorable baby phases. Mackenzie has always been a super easy baby from Day 1. If she was crying or upset, it was pretty easy to figure out what was upsetting her and quickly adjust to make her happy again. I realize how lucky we were to have such an easy newborn, so I'm not complaining here. I'm just sayin....times they are a-changing.

Mackie's 6th month of life coincided with a couple of nasty colds and a leftover cough that still hangs around at night. In addition to that, our perfect little angel seems to be suffering from some crabbiness that I think is related to some teeth that probably plan on making an appearance one of these days. She's learned how to chuck her bottle and pacifier halfway across the room and then immediately decide that it was a terrible decison that she needs to cry loudly about. Don't even think about putting her in that swing that used to be our saving grace. Zeeby and Jeffy (her swing friends) are for babies...not big girls like Mackenzie! She's also decided that sleep is for babies too and she will fight so hard against it at night before she goes down. We have to encourage her by chanting softly in her ear "Surrender to sleep, surrender to sleep, surrender to sleep." Yeah, it's weird but it works, so we do it.

Despite these little things, we still think she's a pretty darn great gal! She's so interactive now and grabs at everything. Every morning she pulls Colin's glasses off his face and smashes them as hard as she can. She's earned the nickname "The Bully" for this behavior. We've also been calling her "Sitting Bull."

I'll take the good with the bad any day. I know how lucky we are to be her parents.

7 comments:

  1. There's my sweet little Bully. I want to see her right now! It sounds like she is entering the "Let's see how I can push Mom and Dad's buttons?" phase. That one lasts quite a while if I recall... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big girl! She's getting so good at sitting. I love how she keeps going "Look Ma, one handed!" Funny Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so adorable! I love it when she falls backwards but her expression doesn't even change, like "oh, here we go again!"

    Hang in there with the crabby baby syndrome. Remember this mantra: "This too shall pass". Bella was pretty similar when she was a baby. She was a perfect little angel until around seven or eight months. I remember writing a post about going crazy because she would only sleep in 10-20 minute intervals. Talk about exhausting. She is a completely different baby when she's teething. I'm glad she's finally got most of her teeth. Now if she'd just let me brush them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Luke is still in the push moms buttons phase.... though he was a very good baby. Ravenna, I think she was a harder newborn, but serious pain when she was teething.
    Mackie is so big for sitting- can't wait for this coming summer when all the girls can interact :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the video and your take on a crabby baby. it just makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melis, nothing beats her poorly-timed projectile vomiting extravaganza that she displayed for you at dinner a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love how she's totally trying to show off her "no hands" move, and then...oops.

    ReplyDelete